|Title||DREAM Fund Commission, Illinois|
The Illinois DREAM Fund Commission is charged with all of the following responsibilities:
(1) Administering this Section and raising funds for the Illinois DREAM Fund
(2) Establishing a not-for-profit entity charged with raising funds for the administration of this Section, any educational or training programs the Commission is tasked with administering, and funding scholarships to students who are the children of immigrants to the United States.
(3) Publicizing the availability of scholarships from the Illinois DREAM Fund.
(4) Selecting the recipients of scholarships funded through the Illinois DREAM Fund.
(5) Researching issues pertaining to the availability of assistance with the costs of higher education for the children of immigrants and other issues regarding access for and the performance of the children of immigrants within higher education.
(6) Overseeing implementation of the other provisions of this amendatory Act of the 97th General Assembly.
(7) Establishing and administering training programs for high school counselors and counselors, admissions officers, and financial aid officers of public institutions of higher education. The training programs shall instruct participants on the educational opportunities available to college-bound students who are the children of immigrants, including, but not limited to, in-state tuition and scholarship programs. The Illinois DREAM Fund Commission may also establish a public awareness campaign regarding educational opportunities available to college bound students who are the children of immigrants. The Illinois DREAM Fund Commission shall establish, by rule, procedures for accepting and evaluating applications for scholarships from the children of immigrants and issuing scholarships to selected student applicants.
The Illinois Student Assistance Commission shall establish an Illinois DREAM Fund to provide scholarships under this Section.
The Illinois DREAM Fund shall be funded entirely from private contributions.
|Qualifications||(see section on composition)|
The Governor shall appoint, with the advice and consent of the Senate, members to the Illinois DREAM Fund Commission, which shall be comprised of 9 members representing the geographic and ethnic diversity of this State, including students, college and university administrators and faculty, and other individuals committed to advancing the educational opportunities of the children of immigrants.
|Authority||110 ILCS 947/67|
|Name (Last, First)||Member Since||Appointed By||Position||County|
|Aguilar, Greg||02/15/2013||Governor||Member||Rock Island|
|Cabrera, Tanya||02/04/2012||Governor||Chair, Member||Cook|